Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sing, Sing, Sing!


Record amounts of snow in DC has left me housebound since approximately 3:45pm yesterday. Not having the option to make plans has been liberating, as it's left me with 23+ hours of Betsy time. I've filled the last day and a half with cat naps, movies in bed, yoga, eating chocolate chip cookies and singing.

It's all been magical, but I think the singing has been my favorite part. Why you ask? I rediscovered my collection of vocal jazz! The velvety voices are so evocative--how could I have forgotten? My neighbors will tell you that I love singing any genre of music (sorry 'bout them thin walls!) but jazz makes me feel different. I think the appeal comes from the unencumbered structure. Performers are encouraged, if not required, to play around with the tempo and melody. Furthermore, the classic songs feel so conversational that I can't help but relax when I sing them, as if I'm casually recounting my heartbreak/drinking problem/lullaby of birdland to an old friend.

How wonderful would it be to sing in a small, smokey lounge? I would love to be the background noise for all the romantic happenings I imagine in those types of venues. The execution of public performance is extremely difficult, and I doubt I have enough desire for the follow-through. But goodness, I do love these evenings at home giving DEVASTATING* performances in front of my bedroom mirror.

*No public performances = no reviews = no one to contradict my brilliance! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment