Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"He no eat no meat? That's okay...I make lamb."


After reading a book called "The China Study" I was 100% convinced that it was necessary for me to become a vegan.  My family tree is riddled with cancer on both sides, and doing something radical with my diet seemed like the best way to take charge in hopes no malignant solicitors would knock on my door and ask to come in.  I endured for several months, but consuming no dairy felt really limiting and it was hard to find things to eat unless I cooked for myself at every meal. Eventually I caved and went full-on carnivore for a few weeks.  The zeal with which I sought out bacon was seriously upsetting.  

Anyfoof, I started to feel slightly guilty for falling off the wagon and that prompted me to pick up vegetarianism.  I also picked up a PETA pamphlet, which is why I've had no problems staying away from meat for the last five months.  I'm sure they exaggerate in those things, but what's done to animals in the name of food production is seriously cruel. I won't share horror stories because Halloween is over.  However, there is some really terrible stuff happening on farms, in PetsMart, at the circus, etc.

So here I am, a vegetarian.  The thing is, I HATE IT.  There is nothing that would please me more than eating a Chipotle burrito with steak.  Furthermore, I've always wanted to own a leather couch and I think fur coats are gorgeous.  The fact that I'm so committed to something that makes me borderline miserable is fascinating.  There are so many changes I've wanted to make in my life, but very rarely do I commit in a lasting way.  I see no end in sight, and it gives me faith that I have the ability to make a choice and stick with it.  Next on the agenda?  Tackling overconsumption.  I don't care if no animals were killed in the making of my brie, it's still pretty gross to eat half a wheel in one sitting.  Shhh don't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment